Vythiri is a small town and tourist destination located in the Wayanad district in the Indian state of Kerala. It is one of the three Taluks in the district with the other two being Mananthavady and Sulthan Bathery.
Places To Visit
- Chembra Peak has an amalgamation of picturesque beauty and an adventurous trip. Located at a height of 2,100 m above sea level, it stands as one of the highest peaks in the Western Ghats. For trekkers, this green paradise awaits you to surprise in the middle of the trail. On the way to the peak, you can witness a heart-shaped lake, the best part of this trek.
- Pookot Lake in Wayanad falls under places to visit in Kerala for honeymoon.– The Panamaram creek, one of the main tributaries of the Kabani River originates from Pookot Lake. The beautiful is located amidst jubilant greenery surrounded by forests and wooded slopes. Honeymooners must check out the freshwater aquarium situated here which offers a sight of a wide array of different fishes.
- Descending from a height of 656 feet the Soochipara or Sentinel Rock Falls gives a breath-taking sight you cannot miss to enrapture. Though it is a difficult trek even for the experienced trekker, reaching the summit after climbing up through the waterfall is not just a worthy excursion but one you can flaunt too and it is one of the best Wayanad trekking places.
- The popular town of Wayanad known for its natural hotspots of wildlife and greenery also boasts of the largest earthen dam in India and second largest in Asia. The Banasura Dam possesses the water of the Kara Manathodu, a tributary of the river Kabini. The Banasura hills in the background offer lovely picturesque scenery with the dam nestled in the middle with pretty islands dotting it, make for a magnificent view.
- Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary is an esteemed natural habitat of many rare and endangered flora and fauna and a wonderful getaway for wildlife lovers. It is one of those rejuvenating retreats where people can appreciate sustainable tourism with a bit of adventure and recreation. The two most important areas in Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary is Muthanga and Tholpetty.
- Famed as the third largest freshwater lake in Kerala, Karalad Lake is located in Thariode near Banasura Sagar Dam. The lake is one of the most unexplored tourist attractions in Kerala and offers a sweet respite away from the tourist buzz of Wayanad. Surrounded by thick evergreen forests, this lake is a quiet retreat to enjoy the serenity of nature.
- Kanthanpara waterfall (also called Kanthenpara) is a pleasing picnic spot where one should visit at least once in their lifetime. This small yet attractive waterfall cascades water from a height of 30 meters above the sea level and draws tourists from across the country.
Best Time To Go
The best time to visit Vythiri is from October to May. This is the time when the weather is pleasant and the tourists can enjoy the popular tourist attractions of Vythiri which are not suitable to be visited during the summer season.
1. Soochipara Falls: It is a famous three-tiered waterfall that is located in Vellarimala in Wayanad. The waterfall is surrounded by a lush green landscape of tea estates and presents an alluring getaway for the nature lovers in Wayanad.
2. Meenmutty Falls: Encompassed by lush green rainforests which is among the most adventurous waterfalls for the tourists. The soothing waterfall promises a breathtaking getaway when you are going to Wayanad from Ooty.
- Nearest railway station: Kozhikode (Calicut), about 63 km
- Nearest airport: Calicut International Airport, about 73 km | Kannur International Airport, about 100 km